Alwarthirunagari Perumal Temple, named as ‘Thirukkurugoor’ is also known as Sri Aadhinatha Swamy Temple, located in Alwarthirunagari at a distance of 5km from Srivaikuntam in Tiruchendur-Tirunelveli route, Tamil Nadu and also one of the 108 Divya Desam Temples. Alwarthirunagari Perumal Temple is one among the Nava Tirupathi Temples. The List of Nava Tirupathi Temples and its related Grahas (Planets) are:
- Srivaikuntam Sri Vaikuntanathan Perumal Temple – Surya (Sun)
- ThiruVaragunaMangai Vijayaasana Perumal Temple – Chandra (Moon)
- ThiruPuliyangudi Bhoomipalagar Perumal Temple – Budha (Mercury)
- Rettai Tirupathi – North Temple (Sri Aravindalochanar Temple, Tholaivilimangalam) – Rahu
- Rettai Tirupathi – South Temple (Sri Devapiran Temple, Tholaivilimangalam) – Ketu
- Perungulam Swamy Mayakoothar Temple, Thirukkulanthai – Shani (Saturn)
- ThenThirupperai Thiru Makara Nedunkulai Kaather Perumal Temple – Shukra (Venus)
- Thirukolur Sri Vaithamanidhi Perumal Temple – Mangala (Mars)
- Alwarthirunagari Perumal Temple, Thirukkurugoor – Guru (Jupiter)
Nava Tirupathi Temples is a set of nine temples dedicated to Lord Vishnu, located on the either sides of Thamiraparani River in Tiruchendur to Tirunelveli route in the state of Tamilnadu, India. The Nava Tirupathi is considered as Navagrahas (the nine planets) Temples. Devotees worship in these temples to relieve from the adverse effects of the planets in their life. The Nava Tirupathi temples are headed by ‘Lord Perumal’ (‘Lord Vishnu’) hence there are no separate Navagraha shrine present in these temples.
The Nava Tirupathi temples are classified as “Divya Desams”, the 108 temples of Lord Vishnu which are admired by the 12 Azhwars. The festival of ‘Vaikasi Utsav’, also named by ‘9 Garuda Sevai Utsavam’ celebrated in a grand manner every year in the Tamil month of Vaikasi (May). The festival idols of deities from all the Nava Tirupathi temples are brought on Garuda Vahana. Utsavar (An idol) of Nammazhvar is also brought in a palanquin to each of the 9 temples while the Paasurams (the Hymns dedicated to each of the 9 temples) are chanted respectively.
Alwarthirunagari is also considered as a birth place of Nammazhvar and Manavala Mamuni. It is believed by the Vaishnavities that, ‘Lord Vishnu’ incarnated as Nammazhwar. The presiding deity of this Alwarthirunagari Perumal Temple is Lord Aadhinatha Perumal, faces to the east in the standing posture and believed to be ‘Swayambhu’ (self-formed). Goddesses are Aadhinatha Nayagi and Thirukkurukoornayagi, the consorts of Lord Aadhinatha Perumal presides in separate shrines in this temple.
It is said that when Nammazhvar born, he have not cried or opened his eyes, so he was taken to the tamarind tree within the temple and resided for 16 years till Madurakavi came and posed some of the interesting questions about life and that is the moment when Nammazhwar have spoken for the first time. Madurakavi was impressed by the answers of Nammazhwar and he said “I do not need God, Nammazhvar is enough”. And hence the temple is came to be known as ‘Thirukkurugoor’.
- Thiruvanandal Pooja – 6.00AM
- Alangaratheertham Pooja- 6.30AM
- Viswaroopam Pooja – 7.00AM
- Dhosai Amudhu Pooja – 8.00AM
- Aalwar Thirumanjanam Pooja – 9.00AM
- Swami Thiruvaaradhanam Pooja – 10.00AM
- Suthhukkoil Pooja – 10.15AM
- Theertha Viniyogam Pooja – 10.30AM
- Samba Thiruvaaradhanam Pooja – 10.50AM
- Samba Thalugai Pooja – 12.00 NOON
- Karudamalaai(Thirukkappu Neekal Pooja – 5.00PM
- Swami Thiruvaaradhanam(Eve) Pooja – 7.00PM
- Theertha Viniyogam Pooja – 7.15PM
- Athhalathalugai Pooja – 7.30PM
- Thiruvisaha Thalugai Pooja – 8.30PM
- Karpoora Sevai Pooja – 8.45PM
Garuda Sevai festival – May or June
Srivaikuntam is also well connected by road with Tirunelveli, Tiruchendur and Tuticorin and all other major cities.
Srivaikuntam railway station is situated on the Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur line. All passenger trains from Tirunelveli stop at this station. The temple is about 1.5 miles from the railway station.
The nearest airport is Tuticorin (24.6 Km). There are flights like Air, IndiGo, Spice Jet, Jet Airways, and JetKonnect to reach to and from Srivaikundam.
- Srivaikuntanathan Perumal Temple
- Thiru Varagunamangai Temple
- Thiruppulingudi Kaaisinavendhan Temple
- Irattai Tirupathi Perumal Temple
- Thenthirupperai Makara Nedunkuzhai Kannan) Temple
- Thirukolur Vaithamanidhi Perumal Temple