Kukke Sri Subrahmanya Temple is situated in Sullia Taluk, Dakshina Kannada District, in the beautiful Western Ghats of Karnataka. There is a holy River Kumaradhara on the way to this temple. The devotees take a holy dip in this river before they enter into the Kukke Sri Subrahmanya Temple. The mythology says that Lord Shanmuka, after the victory over the demon Kings Tharaka and Shurapadmasura, and their followers, came to Kumara Parvatha along with His sibling Ganesha.
In Kumara Parvatha, Lord Shanmuka was received by Lord Indra. Lord Indra prayed Lord Shanmuka to marry His daughter Devasena which was accepted by the Lord and the divine marriage took place at Kumara Parvatha. Biladwara cave, one of the holy place, where Goddess Vasuki, the serpent king and the great devotee of Lord Shiva, performed penance to be protected from Garuda. And Lord Shanmuka blessed Goddess Vasuki saying that He would bless the devotees along with Her at this place forever.
The presiding deity of this Kukke Sri Subrahmanya Temple is Lord Subramanya, and the deity of Goddess Vasuki. And there is a separate deity of Shesha. There is a Garuda pillar found in this temple, which is believed that the pillar stands to safeguard the devotees from the poisonous flames which hurtle out from the breath of Goddess Vasuki.
Kukke Sri Subrahmanya Temple is one of the immaculate pilgrimage in India and being a hiking destination for the trekkers. The Shesha Parvatha hill is found in the entrance of the Kumara Parvatha Mountain, shaped like a six headed serpent, a picture perfect scene, which is believed to protect the shrine of Lord Subramanya.
- Govu Pooja (opening of the temple) – 5.00 A.M.
- Ushakala Pooja – 5.30 A.M. to 6.00 A.M.
- Sevas by the devotees – 6.30 A.M. to 10.00 A.M.
- Kalashapooja, Panchamrutha Abhisheka, Archana, Mahanaivedya, Mahamangalarathi – 10.00 A.M. to 12.15 P.M.
- Theertha Prasada didtribution – 12.30 P.M. to 1.30 P.M.
- Anna Santharpane – 11.30 A.M. to 2.00 P.M.
- Hannukai Seva – 3.30 P.M. to 6.00 P.M.
- Nisha Pooja, Mahamangalarathi – 6.00 P.M. to 7.45 P.M.
- Theertha Prasada distribution – 7.45 P.M. to 8.30 P.M.
Special Poojas at Kukke Subramanya Temple
- Ashlesha Bali Pooja (Kaalasarpa dosha)
- Sarpa Samskara or Sarpa Dosha
- Champa Shashti Rathothsava
- Kirushashti Utsava
- Ratha Sapthami Utsava
- Kukke Linga Jatra
- Vishu Sankramana Utsava
- Maha Shivarathri
- Nagara Panchami
Buses and taxis are available from Bangalore, Mysore, Hasan, Mangalore, Puttur, Madikeri, Sullia, and Dharmasthala and for other major places.
The nearest Stations are Nettana Railway Stati about 12 Kms, Uttur railway Station about 60 Kms, Mangalore railway Station about 110 Kms.
The nearest airports temple are Mangalore Airport about 120 Kms and Bangalore International Airport about 300 Kms.
- Mangala Devi Temple,Mangalore
- Kadri Manjunatha Temple, Mangalore
- Kudroli Gokarnatheshwara Temple, Mangalore
- Dharmasthala Manjunatha Temple
- Kateel Durga Parameshwari Temple
- Southadka Sri Ganapathy Temple
- Sri Durga Parameshwari Temple, Bappanadu, Mulki
- Sri Rajarajeswari Temple, Polali, Bantval Taluk
- Sri Mahalingeswara Temple, Puttur
- Sri Karinjeshwara Temple, Karinje, Bantval Taluk
- Sri Sahasralingeshwara Temple, Uppinangady
- Anantha Padmanabha Temple Kudupu
- Narahari Parvatha Sadashiva Temple, Bantval taluk