The temple is Located at just 4.5 km from Trichy City in Woraiyur, Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu. The major feature of the temple is the absence of roof over the sanctum. The image of Vekkali Amman is seen in a seated posture in Yoga Pitha posture facing north. She is seen holding a trident, udukkai (percussion instrument), a rope and Akshya patra (divine bowl of elixir) in her four hands. Her right leg is sported in bent posture while the left leg is over a demon. The temple is maintained and administered by the Hindu Religious and Endowment Board of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
The Sarama Munivar (Sage) was a staunch Shiva devotee. Created a flower garden at Woraiyur and offered those Beautiful flowers to the God ‘Thayumana swamy’ at Rock fort Temple. When a Chola king named ‘Vanparanthagan’ ruled this area. A local flower seller, Pranthakan, saw the beauty of the flowers from his garden started taking flowers from Sarama Munivar garden, and started supplying to the Chola King in the palace. The King gifted the flowers to his wife ‘Bhuvanamadevi’.
The Sarama Munivar realized the flowers are reducing day by day he waited one day at the garden and found that it is stolen by the flower seller. He went complaining to the King that the flowers were meant exclusively for Lord Thayumanavar and Pranthakan is stealing them Everyday.But the King didn’t respect the Sarama Munivar tone. The Sarama Munivar went to Lord Thayumanavar praying him to put an end to Pranthakan’s Activity. The Lord opened His forehead eye after hearing this and turned facing towards Woraiyur emitting anger which resulted in a huge sand storm started spoiling the whole city of Woraiyur. The King’s fort was destroyed. People are start to run for safety places and finally reach to Vekkali Amman. The Vekkali Amman prayed to Lord Thayumanavar to bring down his anger. Though the shower is stopped people had lost their homes and things. Hence, Vekkali Amman also decided to live in a temple without roof an open Sanctum sanctorum.
The special feature of the temple is without roof over the sanctum. Vekkali Amman is sitting posture in Yoga Pitha posture facing north. The deity is seen bending the left leg and the right placed on the demon. It is a rare form that Vekkali Amman is seen with her left leg on the demon and the right bent.
Morning: 06.00 A.M to 11.00 A.M
Evening: 04.00 A.M to 08.00 P.M
- Visvaruba Pooja (Sun Rise Pooja):05.15 A.M
- Morning Abisegam:05.30 A.M
- Morning Deepa Tharisanam:06.15 A.M
- Uchikaala Abisegam(Noon):12:00 P.M
- Uchikaala Deepa (After Noon Pooja):01:00 P.M
- Maazhai Tharisanam (Eve Pooja):06:00 P.M
- Night Tharisanam (Night Pooja):09:00 P.M
- Thanga kavasa Pooja(Payable):(Friday)10.15 to 11.45 A.M
- Powrnami valipaadu(Every Powrnami Days):Evening Time
- Chithirai: Five day festival.
- Vaikasi: The last Friday Mango Abisegam.
- Aadi: The festivals celebrated in the temple.
- Aavani: Sathasadi Vellvi and deepa Tharisanam.
- Karthikai :The last Monday of these month is the day for the “108 Sankabishekam”
- Thai: Pushpa Nakshathra of Thai Tamil Month is the day of “Theerthavizha” and Amman purapaadu.
- Masi: Last Sunday – Laksharchana.
- Panguni: Uthra Nakshathra day of this Panguni Tamil Month is the day of Sithirai Peruvizha.
Trichy Central bus stand has direct services to most parts of Tamil Nadu. From the bus stand, tourists can avail local buses, taxi, and auto rickshaw to reach the temple.
Tiruchirappalli is an important Railway junction of the Southern Railways. It connects many important cities and towns of South India such as Chennai, Thanjavur,Madurai and Chidambaram.
The nearest airport is Tiruchirappalli International Airport. Trichy Airport has connections to Chennai, Mumbai, Bangalore, Thiruvananthapuram, Singapore, Dubai,Sharjah, Kuwait, Malaysia, and Abu Dhabi.
- Uyyakondan thirumalai Temple
- Sri Subramaniya Swamy Temple
- Ayyappan Temple
- Sri Periya Nachi Amman Temple
- Sri Boologa Nathar Thirukoil