Thandu Mariamman Temple is dedicated to Thandu Mariamman located in Uppilipalayam, Coimbatore inTamil Nadu. Thandu Mariamman Temple is about 500 years old and is dedicated to Goddess Parvathi. According to mythology, the goddess is said to have cured the soldiers of the ruler of Kongu Nadu from chicken pox. Apart from the murti of Thandu Mariamman in the main sanctum sanctorum, the temple houses murtis of Ganapati, Goddess Durga, and Shiva as Dakshinamurthi under Kallala Tree, Goddess Lakshmi, Saraswathi, Muruga, Gajalakshmi and Mahishasuramardhini form of Durga.
In the time of Tipu Sultan, Mariamman appeared as one of Tippu Sultan’s soldiers dream. Goddesses said she has been living in a particular place for a long period. That was the place in a jungle and the next day the soldier went to that place and found the Arulmigu Thandumariyaman beside a neem tree.He was surprised by the goddesses and showed this miracle to his country. One day after a long struggle he has been built by the Thandu Mariamman temple. The news quickly spread all over and she was worshipped as Arulmigu Thandu Mariamman. The present temple is more than 300 years old.
Thandu or Dhandu means the place where soldiers erect their tent during war and other expeditions. As Mariamman was found in a Dhandu she came to be known as Thandu Mariamman or Dhandumariamman.
Devotees, especially ladies, light ghee lamps in cups made with halves of lemons during the Rahu Kala (time of Rahu, the serpent planet) on Tuesdays between 3 and 4.30 PM.
Morning 6.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
Evening 4.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
- Kalasandhi Poojai – 08:00 AM
- Ucchikaalam Poojai – 12:00 Noon
- Sayaraitchai Poojai – 06:30 PM
- Arthajama Poojai – 08:30 PM
- Brahmothsavam is celebrated annually for 13 days from the first Tuesday of Chithirai (April-May).
- Thiruvilakku Vazhipadu, Car Festival, Laksharchannai (a lakh of poojas) festivals are celebrated during Navarathri (September-October).
- The annual car festival celebrated in April is one of the important religious festivals in the region.
Nearest bus stop is Uppilipalayam. Arulmigu Thandu Mariamman Temple is 1.7 KM from the Coimbatore Bus stand. You can easily hire a cab or board a bus from the city to reach the temple.
Nearest railway station is Coimbatore railway station.Coimbatore is well connected by rail with the important places within and beyond the state.
Nearest Airport is Coimbatore Airport, 10 km distance between the temple to Airport.
- Sri Saradambal Temple
- Karupparayan Temple
- Koniamman Temple
- Lakshmi Narashima Swamy Temple
- Arulmigu Sri Rathna Vinayagar Temple