ThenThirupperai Thiru Makara Nedunkulai Kaather Perumal Temple is also called as ‘ThenThiruperai Perumal Temple’, located on the south banks of Tamirabarani River in the Tuticorin District of Tamilnadu,dedicated to Lord Vishnu and also one of the 108 Divya Desam Temples. Sri Makara Nedunkulai Kaather Perumal Temple is one among the Nava Tirupathi Temples. The List of Nava Tirupathi Temples and its related Grahas (Planets) are:
- Srivaikuntam Sri Vaikuntanathan Perumal Temple – Surya (Sun)
- ThiruVaragunaMangai Vijayaasana Perumal Temple – Chandra (Moon)
- ThiruPuliyangudi Bhoomipalagar Perumal Temple – Budha (Mercury)
- Rettai Tirupathi – North Temple (Sri Aravindalochanar Temple, Tholaivilimangalam) – Rahu
- Rettai Tirupathi – South Temple (Sri Devapiran Temple, Tholaivilimangalam) – Ketu
- Perungulam Swamy Mayakoothar Temple, Thirukkulanthai – Shani (Saturn)
- ThenThirupperai Thiru Makara Nedunkulai Kaather Perumal Temple – Shukra (Venus)
- Thirukolur Sri Vaithamanidhi Perumal Temple – Mangala (Mars)
- Alwarthirunagari Perumal Temple, Thirukkurugoor – Guru (Jupiter)
Nava Tirupathi Temples is a set of nine temples dedicated to Lord Vishnu, located on the either sides of Thamiraparani River in Tiruchendur to Tirunelveli route in the state of Tamilnadu. The Nava Tirupathi is considered as Navagraha (the nine planets) Temples. Devotees worship in these temples to relieve from the adverse effects of the planets in their life. The Nava Tirupathi temples are headed by ‘Lord Perumal’ (‘Lord Vishnu’) hence there are no separate Navagraha shrine present in these temples.
The Nava Tirupathi temples are classified as “Divya Desams”, the 108 Temples of Lord Vishnu which are admired by the 12 Azhwars. The festival of ‘Vaikasi Utsav’, also named by ‘9 Garuda Sevai Utsavam’ celebrated in a grand manner every year in the Tamil month of Vaikasi (May). The festival idols of deities from all the Nava Tirupathi temples are brought on ‘Garuda Vahana’. Utsavar (An idol) of Nammazhvar is also brought in a palanquin to each of the 9 temples while the Paasurams (the Hymns dedicated to each of the 9 temples) are chanted respectively.
The primary deity of this Sri Makara Nedunkulai Kaather Perumal Temple is ‘Lord Makara Nedunkulaikaather’ (Lord Vishnu) in a seated posture facing the east direction. Goddess Kuzhaikkaaduvalli Naachiyaar and Goddess Thirupperai Naachiyaar are found in this temple. It is said that the Goddess Bhoodevi(consort Goddess of Lord Vishnu) while performing a self-punishment to relieve from the curse of Sage Durvasa, found two fish shaped ear rings and offered it to Lord Vishnu and from then Lord Vishnu is came to be known as Makara Nedunkulai Kaadhan. Since Goddess Bhoodevi is named by ‘Sri Perai’, this spot is called as ‘Thiruperai’. It is also believed that Lord Varuna visits this temple on the full moon day in the Tamil month of Panguni every year to worship Lord Vishnu, as Lord Varuna performed penance in this temple to get relief from a curse.
- Kaala Shanthi Pooja – 08.30 AM To 08.30 AM
- Uchi Kaala Pooja – 11.30 AM To 11.30 AM
- Sayaratchi Pooja – 06.00 PM To 06.30 PM
- Aravanai Pooja – 08.00 PM To 08.30 PM
- Panguni Brahmotsavam – March or April (10 Days)
- Margazhi Utsavam – December or January (21 Days)
- Thai (Kanu Urchavam) – January or February (4 Days)
- Vaikunta Ekaadasi – December or January
Tuticorin enables better transportation by government buses. The State Express Transport Corporation operates long distance buses connecting the city to important cities like Bangalore, Chennai and Kanyakumari and so on.
Tuticorin has direct daily rail connectivity to Chennai, Bangalore, Mysore, Coimbatore, Madurai, Tirunelveli, Pune, Surat, Ahmedabad, Okha etc.
Tuticorin Airport is at Vagaikulam, 14 km (9 mi) from the heart of the city .It has flights to Chennai Twice a day Operated by Spice jet. Madurai Airport is also the nearest international airport which has daily International Connectivity to Colombo and Dubai and other major cities.
- Sri Vaikuntanatha (Kallapiran) Temple
- Thiru Varagunamangai Temple
- Thiruppulingudi Kaaisinavendhan Temple
- Irattai Tirupathi Perumal Temple
- Alwarthirunagari Adhinaatha Perumal Temple
- Thirukolur Vaithamanidhi Perumal Temple