Thirukolur Sri Vaithamanidhi Perumal Temple is located in Tiruchendur-Tirunelveli route of Tamil Nadu,dedicated to Lord Vishnu and also one of the 108 Divya Desam Temples. Sri Vaithamanidhi Perumal Temple is one among the Nava Tirupathi Temples. The List of Nava Tirupathi Temples and its related Grahas (Planets) are:
- Srivaikuntam Sri Vaikuntanathan Perumal Temple – Surya (Sun)
- ThiruVaragunaMangai Vijayaasana Perumal Temple – Chandra (Moon)
- ThiruPuliyangudi Bhoomipalagar Perumal Temple – Budha (Mercury)
- Rettai Tirupathi – North Temple (Sri Aravindalochanar Temple, Tholaivilimangalam) – Rahu
- Rettai Tirupathi – South Temple (Sri Devapiran Temple, Tholaivilimangalam) – Ketu
- Perungulam Swamy Mayakoothar Temple, Thirukkulanthai – Shani (Saturn)
- ThenThirupperai Thiru Makara Nedunkulai Kaather Perumal Temple – Shukra (Venus)
- Thirukolur Sri Vaithamanidhi Perumal Temple – Mangala (Mars)
- Alwarthirunagari Perumal Temple, Thirukkurugoor – Guru (Jupiter)
Nava Tirupathi Temples is a set of nine temples dedicated to Lord Vishnu, located on the either sides of Thamiraparani River in Tiruchendur to Tirunelveli route in the state of Tamilnadu, India. The Nava Tirupathi is considered as Navagraha (the nine planets) Temples. Devotees worship in these temples to relieve from the adverse effects of the planets in their life. The Nava Tirupathi temples are headed by ‘Lord Perumal’ (‘Lord Vishnu’) hence there are no separate Navagraha shrine present in these temples.
The Nava Tirupathi temples are classified as “Divya Desams”, the 108 temples of Lord Vishnu which are admired by the 12 Azhwars. The festival of ‘Vaikasi Utsav’, also named by ‘9 Garuda Sevai Utsavam’ celebrated in a grand manner every year in the Tamil month of Vaikasi (May). The festival idols of deities from all the Nava Tirupathi temples are brought on ‘Garuda Vahana’. Utsavar (An idol) of Nammazhvar is also brought in a palanquin to each of the 9 temples while the Paasurams (the Hymns dedicated to each of the 9 temples) are chanted respectively.
The primary deity of this Sri Vaithamanidhi Perumal Temple is Lord Vaithamanidhi also called as Nikshoba Vithan, in a reclining posture facing in the east direction. Goddess Amudhavalli and Goddess Koloorvalli has separate shrines in the sanctum of this temple. The other deities of this temple are Lord Yoga Narasimhar, Madhurakavi azhwar, Acharyas and Azhwars, Garuda (vehicle of Lord Vishnu). This place is considered as a birth place of MaduraKavi Azhwar, the devotee of Nammazhwar.
It is believed that Worshipping this holy shrine will help in recovering the lost wealth. The legend says that Lord Gubera was cursed by Goddess Parvati and lost all His wealth. After worshipping Lord Sri Vaithamanidhi Perumal, He relieved of His curse and got back all His wealth. Hence this is the place where ‘Nava Nidhis’ (Nine Wealth) were restored and also the Lord Gubera attained salvation from the curse of Goddess Parvati at this place, the lord here is known as ‘Vaithamaanidhi’. Sri Vaithamanidhi Permual is said to be protecting the nine wealth which is known as ‘Nava Nidhi’ in His right shoulder.
- Vishwaroopam Pooja – 07.30 A.M
- Kabalasanthi Pooja – 10.30 A.M
- Uchikala Pooja – 12.00 A.M
- Sayarachai Pooja – 04.30 P.M
- Thiruvisagam Pooja – 07.30 P.M
Vaikunda Ekadasi – December or January
Srivaikuntam is also well connected by road with Tirunelveli, Tiruchendur and Tuticorin and all other major cities.
Srivaikuntam railway station is situated on the Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur line. All passenger trains from Tirunelveli stop at this station. The temple is about 1.5 miles from the railway station.
The nearest airport is Tuticorin (24.6 Km). There are flights like Air, IndiGo, Spice Jet, Jet Airways, and JetKonnect to reach to and from Srivaikundam.
- Srivaikuntanathan Perumal Temple
- Thiru Varagunamangai Temple
- Thiruppulingudi Kaaisinavendhan Temple
- Irattai Tirupathi Perumal Temple
- Thenthirupperai Makara Nedunkuzhai Kannan) Temple
- Alwarthirunagari Adhinaatha Perumal) Temple