Vaitheeswaran Temple is located 7 Kilo meters from Sirkazhi, Chidambaram, State of Tamilnadu, dedicated to Lord Shiva and God Mangala (Planet Mars). Vaitheeswaran Temple is one of the Navagraha (nine planets) temples which is related to planet Mars (God Mangala). Devotees worship in this temple to relieve from the adverse effects of the planets in their life. Navagraha temples are the nine temples dedicated to Navagrahas (nine planets or nine celestial bodies). The Navagrahas are believed to be the transmitters of Universal, quintessential energy or power. The Navagrahas are closely associated with the fixed stars in the Zodiac.
Each Navagraha temples are located at different places in and around Kumbakonam sector. The Navagraha temples are considered to be the best destination to get rid of from the influence of planets. And most of these Navagraha temples are dedicated to Lord Shiva and Lord Shiva is worshipped as the main deity. The only Navagraha temple dedicated to one of the nine Grahas (celestial bodies) is Suryanaar temple. The Navagraha Temples are:
- Suryanar Kovil (or) Sun Temple – Surya (Sun)
- Agneeswarar Temple, Kanjanur – Shukra (Venus)
- Kailasanathar Temple, Thingalur – Chandra (Moon)
- Vaitheeswaran Temple – Mangala (Mars)
- Thirunageswaram Naganatha Swamy Temple – Rahu
- Sri Dharbaranyeswara Swamy Temple,Thirunallar – Sani (Saturn)
- Naganathaswamy Temple, Keezhaperumpallam – Kethu
- Abathsahayeswarar Temple, Alangudi – Guru (Jupiter)
- Sri Swetharanyeswara Swamy Temple, Thiruvengadu Budhan Sthalam – Budha (Mercury)
Vaitheeswaran Temple constitutes of five-tiered structure gopuram (temple tower). The temple tree which is known as Sthala Vriksha of this temple is Margosa tree which is believed to have medicinal properties. The mythology says that, once the planet Mars which is called as Angaraka had leprosy and suffered a lot. And it is believed to be cured by Lord Vaitheeswaran, and since then this temple is said to be closely related to the planet Mars (God Angaraka).
Lord Shiva is the main deity of this temple who is worshipped as Lord Vaitheeswaran, the god of healing. The second precinct of this temple contains the shrine of Goddess Parvati (Goddess Shakti), the consort of Lord Shiva is worshipped as Goddess Thayyal Nayagi, who is said to bless the devotees with medicinal oil. And the other deities of this temple are Goddess Durga, Lord Subramanyar worshipped as Lord Muthukumara Swamy, Sun god Surya, Lord Nataraja, and Lord Somaskanda etc. Lord Vaitheeswaran (Lord Shiva) in this temple is said to be self-manifested.
The specialty of this temple is that there is an Emerald Lingam which is known as Maragatha Lingam present in this temple. The holy tank of this temple is called Siddhamirtham tank, a dip into this tank is believed to cure all diseases. In Vaitheeswaran temple, there is a separate sanctorum for the planet Mars (God Angaraka). The Navagrahas are located behind the sanctum of this temple in a single line facing Lord Vaitheeswaran, which is believed to be the nine planets obeys the Lord and blesses the devotees. Vaitheeswaran temple is revered as one of the Paadal Petra Sthalam, the hymns sung by Nayanars.
- Vishwaroopam Pooja – 07.30 A.M
- Kabalasanthi Pooja – 10.30 A.M
- Uchikala Pooja – 12.00 A.M
- Sayarachai Pooja – 04.30 P.M
- Thiruvisagam Pooja – 07.30 P.M
- Brahmotsavam festival – January or February
- Karthigai festival – November
- Aipasi Skanda Sashti – October or November
- Deepavali festival – October or November
- Makar Sankranthi – January
- Pongal festival – December or January
Bus services to Vaitheeswaran temple are available from Chidambaram, Sirkazhi, and Mayiladuthurai etc. Vaitheeswaran temple is 24 km from Chidambaram, 50 km from Kumbakonam, and 110 km from Thanjavur.
Kumbakonam railway station is the nearest railhead. The Mysore Express train passes through Mayiladuthurai from Mysore via Bangalore, Salem, Erode, Trichy, Tanjore and Kumbakonam.
Tiruchirapalli Airport or Trichy Airport is the nearest domestic airport. The nearest international airport is the Chennai International Airport.
- Thingaloor Temple
- Kanjanoor Temple
- Alangudi Temple
- Suryanaar Temple
- Thirunallar Temple
- Thirunageswaram Temple
- Brihadheeswarar Temple
- Keezhaperum pallam Temple